Re: [RFC] Package build time config for installation directories.

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Ben Collins wrote:

> Now, here's my solution, and it's very simple. This involves mostly
> policy, and lots of package changes. It doesn't really affect the package
> manager, nor the build-tools.
>
> Packages would be required to read a file, /etc/dpkg-dev/dirs-i386 for
> example, that would list the system directories in this format:
>
> libdir=/usr/lib
> syslibdir=/lib
> bindir=/usr/bin
> sbindir=/usr/sbin
> sysbindir=/bin
> syssbindir=/sbin
> mandir=/usr/share/man
> x11bindir=/usr/X11R6/bin
> (....)
>
> This would solve all the problems above. Overlay ports could then create
> files for libraries to be installed correctly, other non-FHS-compliant
> ports could have their special directories, and third-party-OS users could
> have their /usr/local setup, just by rebuilding the packages with a
> custom directory config.
>
> Thoughts, concerns, ideas?

I've also being playing around with this idea for a while now.  My
motivation, which you may want to add to your list, is to provide
for a debian package to be built using the normal file system
structure or an "/opt" based one.  In our development we must be
able to keep multiple versions of packages around.  The /opt layout
is a clean solution to this problem.

--
Jean Pierre