Re: RFC: initscript policy proposal

On Thu, 02 Nov 2000, T.Pospisek's MailLists wrote:
> I absolutely don't understand why you want to introduce a "maybe" restart
> instead of sanely defining the semantics of the "existing" restart and
> correctly implementing it.

Because redefining restart is not possible in practice. It is as simple as
that. It goes against what the LSB will propose, some developers want
restart as it is, and I don't want to confuse long time administrators that
expect the braindead current definition of restart to be there.

You try to define restart-if-running/maybe-restart/whatever-you-name-it to
as mandatory instead of optional and see if that goes through policy. If it
does (and I'd like it to, I should add), we'll talk again about the issue. I
just happen to think my approach has far better chances to ever get
deployed.

  Henrique Holschuh