Re: RFC: draft sub-policy for kernel patches

------ snip ------
> 1.1. Using `make-kpkg' to build patched kernels
>
>      The default configuration of `make-kpkg' is to ignore any available
>      patches and build a package with whatever kernel source is in the
>      current directory.  You can tell him to use patches from under
>      `/usr/src/kernel-patches/', either by setting the `PATCH_THE_KERNEL'
>      environment variable to `YES' [1].
>
>      When asked to apply patches, `make-kpkg' will apply all patches it
>      finds for the current architecture and version for the kernel being
>      built.  You may want to only select some of them using the
>      `--added_patches' option.
>
> [1]  You may also set the `patch_the_kernel' variable in
>      `/etc/kernel-pkg.conf', but I discourage this, you may well forget you
>      have this set one day.
>

> 1.2. How `make-kpkg' applies patches
> ------------------------------------
>
>      It looks for `apply' scripts in the following subdirectories of
>      `/usr/src/kernel-patches/':
>      1.   `$ARCH/$VERSION/apply/'
>      2.   `$ARCH/apply/'
>      3.   `all/$VERSION/apply/'
>      4.   `all/apply/'
>
>      At the time it will want to remove those patches, it will then look
>      into similar directories with name `unpatch'.
>
>      Typically the main job of these scripts is to apply a diff, but well,
>      they are scripts after all, and more complex tasks in need of
>      something more smart than `patch' may make use of this power.

This seems like it will start cluttering /usr/src
Maybe we should move it all to $topdir/kernel where $topdir defaults to
/usr/src
and under here we have subsirs

    $topdir
        kernel
           modules
           patches
           source

Comments?

--
Frank aka Myth

The unix learning curve may be steep, but at least you only have to climb
it once -- unknown