Re: Q about Build-Depends vs Build-Depends-Indep

On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 08:21:40PM +0300, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 05:42:16PM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > So how about modifying the wording to say:
> >
> >   Build-Depends, Build-Conflicts
> >      The Build-Depends and Build-Conflicts fields describe binary
> >      dependencies and conflicts which must be satisfied when making
> >      the build, binary, binary-arch and binary-indep targets.
> >
> >   Build-Depends-Indep, Build-Conflicts-Indep
> >      The Build-Depends-Indep and Build-Conflicts-Indep fields describe
> >      binary dependencies and conflicts which must be satisfied when
> >      making the binary and binary-indep targets.
>
> How would you modify the preceding paragraph?

So how about something like this:

  Relationships between source and binary packages - Build-Depends,
  Build-Depends-Indep, Build-Conflicts, Build-Conflicts-Indep

  A source package may declare a dependency or a conflict on a binary
  package.  This is done with the control file fields Build-Depends,
  Build-Depends-Indep, Build-Conflicts, and Build-Conflicts-Indep.
  When making one of the targets in debian/rules listed below, the
  dependencies and conflicts they define must be satisfied (in the
  sense defined earlier for binary packages).

  build:        Build-Depends, Build-Conflicts
  binary:       Build-Depends, Build-Conflicts, Build-Depends-Indep,
                Build-Conflicts-Indep
  binary-arch:  Build-Depends, Build-Conflicts
  binary-indep: Build-Depends, Build-Conflicts, Build-Depends-Indep,
                Build-Conflicts-Indep

(BTW, surely build should also require the -Indep dependencies?)

Of course, this would have to be modified once we introduce build-arch
and build-indep targets, and the list would probably become (modulo
the above question):

  build-arch:   Build-Depends, Build-Conflicts
  build-indep:  Build-Depends, Build-Conflicts, Build-Depends-Indep,
                Build-Conflicts-Indep
  build:        Build-Depends, Build-Conflicts, Build-Depends-Indep,
                Build-Conflicts-Indep

  binary-arch:  Build-Depends, Build-Conflicts
  binary-indep: Build-Depends, Build-Conflicts, Build-Depends-Indep,
                Build-Conflicts-Indep
  binary:       Build-Depends, Build-Conflicts, Build-Depends-Indep,
                Build-Conflicts-Indep

And would it be nicer to have the -indep targets only depending upon
the -Indep dependencies?  I don't think it is worth changing the spec,
though, because autobuilding only the arch-indep stuff is not likely
to be an interesting or useful thing to do ;-), and would usually
require copying most of Binary-Depends into Binary-Depends-Indep.

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
        Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://www.debian.org/~jdg
  Donate free food to the world's hungry: see http://www.thehungersite.com/