Re: Priorities

On Sat, Oct 14, 2000 at 10:03:08PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Sorry, I'm not on debian-policy, but since I was one of the ones who
> lobbied for task packages, just a few random thoughts.

(Cc'ed)

> >     python
> > 	- how do I know whether I'm going to write "complicated" apps or not?
> I don't know that I completely agree.  I see your point, but then
> again, "I wanna program in python" seems to me to be a reasonable
> desire for a user to have.

Well, there's already a task-python-dev for that.

> > 	* setting up a local printer? ("my computer has a modem/is a laptop",
> > 	  vs "my computer has a printer"?)
> Yes, this would be a great package.  But I woudl jsut include lprng,
> cups, magicfilter, or whatever is the nice tools for printing, and not
> bother with the hand-holding/config side.

Well, the interesting and helpful config questions are already handled by
the magicfilter package in any case so it's not an issue.

> > 	* dialup-cable-modem? dialup-adsl?
> I didn't realize you could dialup cable and adsl. Again, we're mixing
> pkg collections with system configuration.  Not a good idea, IMHO.

Well, we may want to add some helpful postinst/debconf questions to a
pppoe package, but the main thing is that i'd be nice to be able to say
"I have a printer, and ADSL modem and I'd like these setup please" and
not have to go through dselect or apt to get at them. Maybe these sorts
of questions should be separate from the actual tasks, I'm not sure.
I'm not sure how this matches up with X driver configuration, either,
least of all with X4. Maybe it doesn't.

> > 	b) We can probably split tasks into three areas:
> > 		* Install enough packages to satisfy most people who might
> > 		  say "I want to do <..> with my computer"

> > 		* Help someone make use of some hardware they have attached
> > 		  to their computer, in a fairly generic way.
> Again, disagree.

Well, what if I changed that to be say, "Install enough packages for
someone to get good use of  some type of hardware they have attached
to their computer, described generically". So "task-printer" but not
"task-hp-laserjet-1100a-printer". So does that mean "task-dialup"
should cope with all "dialup" access (ISDN, ADSL, cable, and whatever
else), rather than having different tasks for each sort of home
internet connectivity? PErhaps "dialup" isn't a perfect name. Similarly
"task-x-core" would seem to make sense in so far as letting you make use
of your monitor goes. But it's somewhat different in that that just lets
you use different programs, whereas printers and networks are somewhat
more external.

Cheers,
aj

                                      -- Dave Clark