Re: New packaging manual draft

>>"Jason" == Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> writes:

 Jason> No, you are confusing dpkg's goals with APT's high level goals, they are
 Jason> seperate. dpkg has no notion of a target state, it is just a dumb install
 Jason> tool, so it is making the best judgements it can, assuming something else
 Jason> is making a descision on target state. Initialy this was dselect (in a
 Jason> kind of haphazard way) and now it is also libapt.

 Jason> dpkg is primarily only concerned with the package it is operating in,
 Jason> except with processing conflicts which are checked in the 'reverse'
 Jason> direction. People have tried to 'fix' this, but it really isn't broken,
 Jason> see my extensive past commentary on this matter.

	Fine. I've now sunk those parts of the description (and pared
 down on other extraneous material as well.

 >> If there are no other objections, could we move to have this
 >> ratified as part of policy? I'll start the process unless someone has
 >> a serious objection.

 Jason> I feel all references to 'dselect' should be removed, or
 Jason> writen in a more general way so that they can define a policy
 Jason> that is common to all the installer front ends (dselect,
 Jason> apt-get, capt, aptitude, gnome-apt, stormpkg, etc)

	This new version does not mention dselect once.

 Jason> A footnote indicating that 'dpkg' refers to any arbitary .deb
 Jason> install tool would be good too.

	I'll put that one in when a dpkg replacement actually emerges.

	manoj
--
 You roll my log, and I will roll yours. Lucius Annaeus Seneca