Re: New packaging manual draft

>>"Jason" == Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> writes:

 Jason> On 30 Sep 2000, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

 Jason> (Reading the dpkg bug lists.. though perhaps it is busted - are we going
 Jason> to document bugs in dpkg in this manual? #2041)

	No. Wichert is taking over what once was the packaging manual,
 and that's where this kinda stuff belongs. Once the new packaging
 manual is part of the policy manual (and the policy manual shall
 state so explicitly), we can reassign those reports.

 Jason> dependencies aren't satisfied.  If it is asked to
 Jason> make an installation which would cause an installed
 Jason> package's dependencies to become unsatisfied it will
 Jason> complain [1], unless `--auto-deconfigure' is

 Jason> IIRC this is just completely false. Dpkg breaks reverse dependencies
 Jason> without any error or warning - that is how it must operate.

 >> Hmm. Reverse dependencies are never mentioned here, so I think
 >> completely false is a trifle strong.

 Jason> Unless I am mis-reading it that is exactly what it is talking
 Jason> about.  Reverse dependencies being the dependency on the
 Jason> package in question from other packages in the system. dpkg
 Jason> does not check those.

 Jason> Thus when libc6 is configured the locales has a broken
 Jason> 'reverse depends' and dpkg does not complain. This is exactly
 Jason> the opposite of what the quoted paragraph says - right?

	But only in the interim, correct? After the installation
 process is all done, the dependencies are all satisfied. During
 installation dependencies are broken, yes. Unless I am mistaken, dpkg
 tries to go from a state where the dependencies are satisfied,
 through an installation porocess, and, barring errors, reaches a
 state where the dependencies are satisfied again.

	Is this essentially what the goal is? I'll change the footnote
 to explain this, is that is so.

	If there are no other objections, could we move to have this
 ratified as part of policy? I'll start the process unless someone has
 a serious objection.

	manoj
--
 Please stand for the National Anthem: Australians all, let us
 rejoice, For we are young and free. We've golden soil and wealth for