Re: Preparing Debian for using capabilities: file ownership.

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 01:43:52AM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
>Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:
>>  It should be:
>>
>> -rwxr-xr-x    1 bin      bin         42300 jul 29 13:26 /bin/ls*
>>
>Using an existing group like bin could cause problems. It's possible
>systems exist that have users in the bin group and don't expect them to
>suddenly be able to edit every file on the system. (What is the bin
>group used for now, anyway? Only 3 files on my system are owned by it.) We
>should probably make a new group if we do this.

That's three more than on mine,

  find / \( -user bin -o -group bin \) -ls

produces zip.

On AT&T based machines though, ownership of most stuff in bin and lib is
bin.bin .

Regards,
--
Brendan O'Dea                                        bod@compusol.com.au
Compusol Pty. Limited                  (NSW, Australia)  +61 2 9810 3633