Re: non-setgid mail MUAs

In article <[🔎] 20000829105743.H931@spinnaker.sail.does-not-exist.org>,
Roland Rosenfeld  <roland@spinnaker.de> wrote:
>Please don't forget that liblockfile 1.01 (didn't see a newer version
>yet) does not provide nfs-safe locking, which violates policy chapter
>5.6.  So I dissuade from using liblockfile for MUAs until this problem
>is solved (see Bug #43491).

The locking *is* NFS safe.

It is just that after getting the lock, the MUA needs to flush the
attribute cache on the mailbox before continuing. The only way to
do that is by using flock(): flushing is a side-effect
of flock() - gotta love NFS.

But that doesn't have anything to do with NFS safe locking.

Mike.