Re: Picking apart the packaging manual (long)

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 02:57:30PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 6.3. Details of unpack phase of installation or upgrade
> 6.4. Details of configuration
> 6.5. Details of removal and/or configuration purging

These sections surely have some technical details that the Policy doesn't
need to contain... for example, from 6.4:

   When we configure a package (this happens with dpkg --install, or with
   --configure), we first update the conffiles and then call:

        postinst configure most-recently-configured-version

   No attempt is made to unwind after errors during configuration.

   If there is no most recently configured version dpkg will pass a null
   argument; older versions of dpkg may pass <unknown> (including the angle
   brackets) in this case. Even older ones do not pass a second argument at
   all, under any circumstances.

The fact that $1 and $2 currently have useful meanings matters, but what's
the behaviour of dpkg 0.93.* shouldn't matter... :)