Re: non-setgid mail MUAs

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 10:57:43AM +0200, Roland Rosenfeld wrote:
> BTW: Can someone explain me, why a mailbox should has to be group mail
>      writable?

I think it's just an artifact, just like the sentence saying the spool
directory should be mail.mail, when we haven't been using that in ages. :)

>      Are there any MDAs, which don't run with root permission?

All that's needed is setgid mail to lock $MAIL, and permissions of the user
the mail is being delivered to to write to $MAIL. No root permissions.

>      With procmail installed, I can safely change the mailbox files to
>      permission 600 (owned by the user).

Works with maildrop, too.