Re: .desktop files on GNOME

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 03:11:57PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> [ Background: Sergio has written support for gnome .desktop files into
>   debhelper. ]

> Sergio Rua wrote:
> > > Are .desktop files actually useful on Debian systems? Doesn't the menu
> > > system take care of it?

> > 	Yes if you use GNOME because it send Debian menu to second stage.
> > 	Otherwise, no.

Well, even if you use Gnome, you can configure it to make the Debian
menus into primary menus.

> Then I think this comes down to a policy question. Do we install
> .desktop files in addition to debian menu files? We could instead fix
> gnome to treat debian menu entries as first-class entries, or ignore
> this altogether.

I think it's nice to have the Gnome-specific tools in their own menus
on Gnome.  I think it's nice to have the option of letting a Gnome
user see the menu contents he is used to.

In other words, I think the current approach is fine.  What we *might*
consider doing is changing the default configuration for the Gnome
menus, so that by default, the Debian menus appear as the primary
menus.  But I'm not entirely sure we want to do that.

I think I need more background here.  What *sort* of support?  Is the
idea that all packages should create .desktop files?  In that case, I
disapprove, as one can already make the debian menus into the primary
menus.  But if this is simply a tool to make life easier for
maintainers of packages which already produce .desktop files, then I
suspect it will be fine.

Perhaps this should be discussed on the d-gtk-gnome list before
bringing it up on -policy?

cheers