Re: PLEASE: standard package README file/orientation

On Sat, Aug 19, 2000 at 12:55:25PM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> silly.  I venture to guess that 80% of all packages have a binary that
> matches the package name, and don't need *any* (re)configuration.  And
> of the remainder, most do have adequate documentation already.

I haven't checked recently, but last time I checked on a system with
about 800 packages installed, only about 30 needed manual configuration.
Over 95% worked "good enough" without tweaking.  I've cited these figures
a number of times to some friends who complained about the "large" number
of packages they had to configure - to put things into perspective.
They were impressed.  For those (relatively) few packages that had to
be configured by hand, dpkg -L was good enough to find the config files
and the docs.

Maybe just a reference to dpkg --listfiles or
/var/lib/dpkg/info/<pkgname>.{list|conffiles} in the Installation
Instructions would be good to get new users started.

--
Steve Bowman  <sbowman@frostwork.net> (preferred)
Buckeye, AZ   <sbowman@goodnet.com> <bowmanc@acm.org>