Re: www-data policy?

Perhaps I ought to frame the question more concretely, then.  I am
packaging up gopherd.  I am not entirely sure what needs to be done to
it wrt users it runs as.

One could argue it should run as www-data.  Roxen apparently includes
a gopher server and it presumably runs as www-data.  There exist other
combined http&gopher servers as well.

One could also argue that it should create a gopher system user and
use that.  I like this approach because it increased
compartmentalization in the system.  With http processes running CGI
scripts and gopher running its own equivolent of them, there is
certainly the possibility for errant or insecure scripts in one area
to cross over to the other.

Additionally, I am unsure of the mechanics of www-data usage.
base-passwd states that www-data is special cased in the package,
without stating what packages that use it should do.

Thoughts?