Re: XFree86 4.0.1 and app-defaults

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

> Whether app-defaults files can be regarded as configuration files or not is
> an arbitrary decision.  By moving them to /etc/X11 in the default
> configuration, XFree86 has indicated their opinion.  I see no reason to
> differ with them.

In my soon-to-be-over job with Athena at MIT I can confirm that we
frequently have had great need to change app-defaults files for
various reasons, and it has been a difficulty that they are not config
files in Red Hat's XFree86 (Red Hat is our supported Linux platform on
Athena).

So FWIW, I think XFree86 made the right decision, which is another
reason not to differ with them. ;)

> I tried to get Xt to look in both directories, but several different
> attempts failed.

It shouldn't be that hard to open one pathname and if you get ENOENT,
to try opening the other instead....that might be a useful
compatibility feature to make work.  (Though I agree that it's not
nearly as crucial as some apparently think.)

Thomas