file ordering in packages

I'm not sure if I submitted this as a bugreport yet, and I don't
have net access right now. However: the current documentation
states that packages need to create symlinks after their targets.
Unfortunately that only works on filesystems for which dirent
ordering is chronological and if packages don't remove files
in between creating the target and the symlink. A very fragily
approach.

Starting with dpkg 1.7.0 this is no longer necessary since dpkg-deb
will reorder the files itself. The text in the packaging manual
should be update to be something like:

	With older dpkg releases (before 1.7.0) it was necessary
	to place the library before the symlink .. etc. etc.
	Starting with release 1.7.0 dpkg will reorder the files
	itself when building a package.

Wichert.

 / Generally uninteresting signature - ignore at your convenience  \
| wichert@wiggy.net                   http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |