Re: XFree86 4.0.1 and app-defaults

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 11:49:27AM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 10:50:49AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> Well if i install the 3.3.6 X server, it will read its configuration file from
> /etc/X11/XF86Config, and the 4.0.1 X server will read his from the exact same
> location. And The XF86Config format is _NOT_ the same for both versions. Thus
> you run into problems if you want ot have XF4.0.1 and XF3.3.6 installed in the
> same time.
>
> ... huh, forgot, you don't plan to allow this kind of things, isn't it ?

You *still* quite obviously have not read the manpage for the 4.x version
of XF86Config.  Since you have decided to accuse me of incompetence, I'll
just leave you in ignorance on this point.

> Ok, but you will be packaging the X server + the X libraries + all the
> standard X apps that come with it (well twm, xterm and such). I see i need to
> be much more precise with my postings to you, so therfor i will name this
> whole stuff the "X stuff", so there is no confusion.

How about learning to distinguish between servers and clients?

> I do driver work, no need to be very much aware of lot of stuff which you have
> a much better grasp of,

On the contrary, I think you do need to get a handle on how the rest of the
X Window System works, at least in broad principles.  Not knowing these
things will impede your communication with other XFree86 developers.

> That said, we are speaking about X apps, well at least some of them are
> maintained by you (x11/xterm and co). Or do you plan to keep the symlink magic
> in place forever ?

Upstream ships a symlink.  Ultimately I'd like to see us do so as well.

> Now imagine i have the 3.3.6 server installed (which don't know about the new
> location of the app-default stuff you spoke about in your mail) and install
> apps that where compiled for the new 4.0.1 scheme of things. What will happen
> if your 4.0.1 xterm installs its app-default files in the /etc location and
> while the 3.3.6 xfree86-common didn't create the symlink ?

Apparently you didn't read my initial mail in this thread, or you have just
as much trouble grasping Debian package dependencies as you do the
distinction between X servers and X clients.  I guess these are not things
you feel you need to know --- maybe you should just just start calling them
"Debian stuff"?

X clients compiled against the 4.x libraries will depend on xlib6g 4.x.
xlib6g 4.x will depend on xfree86-common 4.x.  Therefore, X clients
compiled against the 4.x libraries will not be present on systems with
xfree86-common 3.3.6.

> But then maybe i am being stupid, the app-default is only ever used by the app
> that installed it (in this case xterm ?). So i guess there are no conflicts,

Well, that's what I told you; given that you claim disinterest in
understanding these things yourself, you might as well just start taking my
word for it.

> > Well, there are lots of possible ways things can go wrong.  What you
> > describe doesn't sound like a server problem to me.
>
> No, but it is an "X stuff" problem, ...

I expect more intelligent problem reports from fellow Debian and XFree86
developers.  You are both.  Therefore I expect a little more initiative
from you.  Heck, there are users of my packages who are *neither* Debian
nor XFree86 developers, and submit far more informative problem reports
than you do.  You do little more than describe some vague set of
circumstances and proclaim "it's broken".

> How come on, don't threat me as stupid, just because i was a bit unprecise in
> my mail, i understand perfectly well the difference between the server, the
> client and the libraries.

Then why would you have any reason to believe the X server would read
app-defaults files directly?  The X server doesn't even read X *resources*
from files, though it does store them.

> And i have been running XF4 since a long time already (well since before
> it was called 3.9.x). I can tell you what has gone bad in any terms you
> will need. But then if you are not interrested, just do the work
> yourself, i will wait for the packages to be released, but then don't
> complain you have no time to do the work, if you don't accept help from
> people

Incoherent "help" from you is less valuable than knowledgeable, or simply
informative help from others.  Just to name names, Joey Hess, Brendan
O'Dea, and Marcelo Magallon all provided quite helpful feedback on my
preliminary 4.0.1 .debs.  In large portion, they simply provided
typescripts of their installation commands and the output they generated.
(Joey Hess gets the purple heard for grepping the sources to find out what
Xt function reads app-defaults, though.  But as it turns out, I have to
edit something in config/cf to do what we want, and not lib/Xt.  Ah, the
Byzantine joys of X.)

If you can learn to communicate your problems better, I will appreciate
feedback from you.  If not, it will be worthless to me, and you'll only see
your problems get fixed because other people who had them actually managed
to tell me what they were.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |
Debian GNU/Linux                |   Never attribute to malice that which can