Re: new fields in debian/control

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > *shrug* you'll be seeing that soon enough in other forms, doesn't trouble
> > me much as long as the functionality is very tertiary.

> Can you elaborate on that? You seem to be doing what you are accusing
> me of and adding things like Sources and Release without discussing
> them first.

Actually Sources and Release were both passed through the policy group and
the ftp group before any implementation was done. Perhaps you missed it,
it was a very long time ago.

As for things that will not be available to dpkg, we are talking about
things like dead dep pruning, version/dist pinning, maybe signatures and
possibly various other small things done in the course of the maturing UI
design.  Anything that changes how the whole system works will of course
be written up and passed by -policy for discussion.

> > That is not at all how a commercial company will see it. They will see an
> > uncontrolled group of 500 people who can be mistaken as their tech
> > support, the first time one of their users don't get a good enough
> > response from us (or better yet, a rude response) they will go ballistic.
>
> They will use a custom bugreporting tool anyway and ignore what the
> package said.

Who is to say they will do that, or even want to do that? There is still
benifit for them in directing bugs that are not theirs to the proper
people.

It is starting to sound like the only people who will use these fields are
us, and even then really only for packages that are not our own (kde,
glx, etc). I think with such a small usage the design needs to be rethunk
to increase the usefulness and reduce the expense - or be abandonded all
together..

Jason