Re: new fields in debian/control

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > dpkg can access it just fine in all the contexts where a Release file
> > can exist (being called from APT basically), the only problem I see is
> > that hand installed debs would lack this information - a much smaller
> > price to pay than having a proliferation of 'not quite the same' .debs.
>
> I'm sorry, but I absolutely don't want to end up in a situation where
> localle install debs (dpkg -i) lack functionality that an apt-installed
> deb has. That is just *wrong*.

*shrug* you'll be seeing that soon enough in other forms, doesn't trouble
me much as long as the functionality is very tertiary.

If you don't think it is suitable for use with dpkg then I have no problem
making an APT status file that contains this information for the bug tools
to use.

> > People have always wanted Debian to be a base system, we should try to
> > help that by keeping hard references to our infrastructure out of the
> > archives.
>
> The bugs-tag(s) tell you who is responsible for a package and where you
> can file bugs. Even if Corel or Stormix ship a Debian package, it is
> still *our* package and we are responsible for it. So we should also
> get the bugreports.

That is not at all how a commercial company will see it. They will see an
uncontrolled group of 500 people who can be mistaken as their tech
support, the first time one of their users don't get a good enough
response from us (or better yet, a rude response) they will go ballistic.

Can you imagine how badly a corperate image would be hurt if some innocent
user thinks they found a bug in, say, X, and gets back a scathing
dissertation about their inadaquacies?

It is their product, they will want to have quality control over their
tech support, that fact that the bug report might eventually might boil
down to us doesn't really matter.

>From our point of view we really don't need *more* uninformed bug
reporting from a wider `desktop' user base, we already get quite alot of
bugs that are of questionable quality.

The flip side is that people using stormix/corel/debian with 3rd party
debs (like the GLX stuff) will still need their bug reports directed away
from corel/stormix/debian, and this is not something the companies will
really care about.

Perhaps the best alternative is for Debian to not use the BTS field at
all.

Jason