Re: new fields in debian/control

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Package: packaging-manual
>
> I'm adding three new fields to debian/control:

Sorry if I do perhaps address the wrong people, but I would like to
propose two other fields (there might be better names than the ones I
found):

Successor-Of:
As far as I know, a package isn't upgraded if it's name has changed
(e.g. fvwm2 -> fvwm or cdgrab -> abcde). This field is meant for this case
(the new package is "Successor-Of" the old package). There must't be more
than one successor of a package, and dpkg/apt should treat a package with
this field as if it still has the name it has before when upgrading.

Provides-Source-For:
For packages like qmail-src that are shipped only as source and that you
have to compile yourself. E.g., if you don't know that, it looks as if
vchkpw has an unmet dependency. A package with this field could perhaps be
automatically compiled when installing.

> Wichert.

Just my 0.02,
Adrian