Re: init script config files

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, tony mancill wrote:

> What if we did this?
> /etc/rc.config.d/sendmail.default
> /etc/rc.config.d/sendmail
> (or /etc/rc.config.d/sendmail.override)
> And so on.  Always source sendmail.default first, so that we know we have
> sane values.  If "sendmail" is there, source it too.  This way, users can
> take a peek at the .default file to see what should in their file, and we
> can add important variables at anytime because .default would come with
> the package (but *not* be a conffile - users should never modify it).
> Anything the user adds configures will be there, and remain there (until a
> package purge?).

What about a .../sendmail script, which is not a conffile, wich calls
a .../sendmail.user to let it change variables?
(I think it depends what users could want to change. )

And if any such thing is implemented, the not-conffile should have
important comment saying it is not a conffile. (And a Sentence in policy
that this file has to)

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link