Re: of virtual packages and services

> > and then (analogous to update-alternatives), it uncomments one of
> > remaining daemons (if any) providing this service
>
> Hrm. Using its own database like update-alternatives, or comments in
> /etc/inetd.conf, or...? Is update-alternatives really the example to
> follow here? I suppose it makes a certain amount of sense.

It does make sense. Then things can relate the inetd entry to a package so
one can do something like:

# update-service --config auth
(* = prefered, + = active)
  Status	Package		Binary			options
1  *		oidentd		/usr/sbin/oidentd	nowait ....
2 +		pidentd		/usr/sbin/pidentd	nowait ....

Choose a number if you wish to change the default[12]:

You'll note this is very similar to update-alternatives' --config option.
Then we can also have a similar option to guage which one is prefered (like
update-alternatives does in auto mode).

Ben

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '