Re: Finger daemons in Debian should use a virtual package

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 10:26:16AM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Sun, May 21, 2000 at 04:13:43PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > Since there's not much point in running a fingerd on a non-standard port (at
> > least I haven't seen done anywhere, or a finger program that can query
> > different ports), it would seem appropriate to make these packages provide
> > and conflicts with a virtual package called `finger-server', i.e. add this
> > to the control file:
> > Provides: finger-server
> > Conflicts: finger-server
> You do realise that with this change, all finger daemons except one will
> have to be lowered to the priority of extra?

From the looks of things, efingerd is currently the only finger-server
(not finger-daemon?) that Conflicts: with the other packages. So it might
be better to have the packages not have the Conflicts: line. On the other
hand, there's nothing actually wrong with a package being in "extra".

A question for policy:

s2.3.8 says, among other things:
] In order for `update-alternatives' to work correctly all the packages
] which supply an instance of the `shared' command name (or, in general,
] filename) must use it.

Shouldn't this generalise to MTAs and finger daemons? Certainly MTAs
provide an instance of a common command (/usr/sbin/sendmail). If there's
meant to be an exception for "daemons providing TCP services" maybe it
should apply to fingerds as well. OTOH, it seems a lot more reasonable
to have one finger daemon working on one port (a secure boring one for
external access, say) and another on another (a more interesting one
that plays sounds and whatever that's only available internally, say),
for which a Conflicts: would be awkward.

> Anyway, it seems to be a pointless change for potato.

Yeah, what he said.

Cheers,
aj

I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG encrypted mail preferred.

                                      -- Dave Clark