Re: Finger daemons in Debian should use a virtual package

On Sun, May 21, 2000 at 04:13:43PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> Hi good people,
>

> Now, the current issue is that the same thing should be done for the
> *fingerd packages. That's why I'm sending this to folks maintaining
> {c,e,f,x,}fingerd packages. Currently these packages either conflict with
> others, or use bits of update-inetd magic to set up its entry in
> /etc/inetd.conf that is often FUBAR, and SNAFUs people's inetd.conf entries.
>
> Since there's not much point in running a fingerd on a non-standard port (at
> least I haven't seen done anywhere, or a finger program that can query

I've done it, to bypass a stupid firewall. But I thing that if somebody
needs to run (another) finger demon on another port, he is clever enough
to circumvent debian dependencies.

> different ports), it would seem appropriate to make these packages provide
> and conflicts with a virtual package called `finger-server', i.e. add this
> to the control file:
>
> Provides: finger-server
> Conflicts: finger-server
>
> The virtual package should be added to the official Policy list of virtual
> packages, too.
>
> I can (and will, if allowed) do as many NMUs as necessary to get this done.

> How about it, then?

I fully agree.

I can make a package in no time, but it has to be a NMU because I am not
a developer (yet), efingerd was sponsored.
A little problem is that there is a new version already, and new versions
should not go into potato (though the change in the new version was
miniscule):

efingerd (1.4) unstable; urgency=low

  * added missing #DEBHELPER# to postinst and prerm
  * added debhelper to Build-Depends

I can make something like 1.3.1 version (and you are welcome to do an NMU,
if you cannot wait for me), if that is a solution...