Re: Permissions of /var/log.

reassign 35504 base-files
retitle 35504 /var/log should be 755 and root.root
severity 35504 fixed
thanks

[ fixed in base-files_2.1.20 ].

I consider this proposal rejected, because there has been a formal
objection and no seconds.

I think I was interpreting Wichert's words too much literally:

> 1. logfiles which don't contain sensitive data should be readable
>    by everyone. Which group they have doesn't really matter.

It could be that it does not really matter, but in this case it seems we
usually prefer these files to be root.root and not root.adm.

By making easier to create root.adm files by default, it would also force
people to add extra code to create root.root files when this is what is
desired, so the set-gid group in /var/log would be more an inconvenience
than a help.

Thanks to everybody who participated in the discussion.

--
 "e2939f49bc4f075b948066842aceb48a" (a truly random sig)