Re: /usr/local policy

On Sat, Mar 04, 2000 at 03:28:59PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
>     Anthony> Package: stow Description: Organiser for /usr/local/
>     Anthony> hierarchy

(trimmage)

> In the /usr/local/stow directory, I would type in
>
> stow flightglear-0.0
>
> this would create the following symlinks (assuming the directories
> don't already exist):
>
> /usr/local/bin ---> /usr/local/stow/flightgear-0.0/bin
> /usr/local/lib ---> /usr/local/stow/flightgear-0.0/lib
> /usr/local/man ---> /usr/local/stow/flightgear-0.0/man

Well, except that the directories do already exist, they're made in the
base-files postinst (on the initial install, when /usr/local doesn't
already exist).

So, a more realistic case would involve a directory:

	/usr/local/lib/foo/

which is populated by both a stowed package and a Debian package. And the
stowed package would have to be installed before the Debian package still.

Perl and Python might be examples of the first condition, but they seem
unlikely to satisfy the second as well.

This argument could also be used to claim that stow should have a
--no-tree-fold option. Replace `Debian packages' with `local packages'
doing mkdir, and you've got the same problem.

Cheers,
aj

I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG encrypted mail preferred.

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds