Re: /usr/local policy

>>"Steve" == Steve Robbins <steve@nyongwa.montreal.qc.ca> writes:

 Steve> Hmm.  This says that the *location* of directories must comply with FHS.
 Steve> Why doesn't this read simply "The Debian file system must fully comply
 Steve> with FHS"?  Is it intended that Debian follow the FHS only in *location*
 Steve> but not in *intent* or *use* of directories?  For instance, FHS allows the
 Steve> directory location /usr/lib.  Can I ignore the *intent* of /usr/lib, and
 Steve> put a user-executable binary in it?  Or am I reading too much into this
 Steve> bit of policy?

 Steve> Well, let's assume that I'm reading too much into this, and that the
 Steve> Policy writers really intended that Debian be fully FHS compliant.

        Actually, no. We never intended full compliance when that was
 written (people had major misgivings regardin /var/state, var/lib/
 etc (the FHS has changed since)). There was also the issue of
 /var/spool/mail ...

        So the intent was that we shall try to be as compliant as
 possible, without chaining ourselves the what is an evolving
 standard.

        We may, of course, decide to revisit that stance.

        manoj
--
 Change your thoughts and you change your world.