Re: [RFD]: Question regarding actions to take on --purge of a package.

On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 11:03:27PM -0600, Adam Heath wrote:
> Jump forward a few weeks, and now the client wants to start running hit
> reports on the apache log data.  Well, it seems that during the apache purge,
> it deleted(rm -rf) /var/log/apache(also a few other dirs).

While it was not your question -- and I'm not sure if this is a
policy issue or not -- I believe I'd do one thing differently if I
were the apache maintainer: I'd take care to only delete files under
/var/log/apache which matched the default log-name template for logfiles
generated by the package.

And, (if only because I know web logs are so valuable to some people)
I'd included a comment about this pattern's significance in README.debian.

On the other hand, I can certainly understand that rm -rf /var/log/apache
is both simple and robust.

Finally, I should note that on web servers under my care, log files are
copied to another machine for backup (and analysis) on a daily basis.
[But that's not really a debian issue.]

--
Raul