RE: Changes in handling library dependencies

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Ronald van Loon wrote:

> had to request an address to load your library. Things have come quite a
> ways since then. But I digress.

Welcome to ELF..

> I can only say: great. Just keep in mind that this does not work on all
> systems - but maybe that does not apply to the architectures (linkers
> really) that Debian caters to.

This should work on all Debian supported platforms, if it doesn't I think
it is fair to say the platform is broken and should be fixed.

> I hope this clarifies my original statement somewhat; if the linker only
> needs the direct libraries with the symbols used, great; in that case
> the dependencies of the program will indeed correspond directly to the

One other little clarification, if the library does not properly declare
the libraries it needs then it is up to programs linking to that library
to specify them - just like for static libraries. This is a really silly
thing to do though - but apparently required if you are using fscking
libool :|

Jason