Re: Changes in handling library dependencies

    Wichert> Previously Ronald van Loon wrote:
    >> This is not true. Direct dependencies and the libraries needed
    >> for compiling are two different things. Unless the linker has
    >> become extremely smart, it is still necessary to specify all
    >> libraries a program needs on the command line.

    Wichert> Then explain to my why it worked perfectly for me even if
    Wichert> I did not list all those libraries in the link command?
    Wichert> Seems like the linker is smart enough..

It doesn't seem to work for the Kerberos libraries. For instance,
libcyrus-sasl needs to link in the gssapi library, from heimdal-lib.

Ideally, putting -lgssapi on the command line would be good
enough - it isn't. I get lots of symbol undefined errors.

What is needed is: -lgssapi -lkrb5 -ldes -lasn1 -lroken -lcrypt -lcom_err

What makes this completely yuck is that MITs Kerberos implementation
has a different set of libraries:

-lgssapi_krb5 -lkrb5 -lk5crypto -lcom_err

A better way would be to use libtool *.la files, however, I don't know
if it is possible to use these without hardcoding the full filename.
Also, the dependancy information for -lgssapi seems incomplete, not
sure why yet, I will need to investigate.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>