static libs depend in -dev not in library packages?

reassign 52475 libsocks4
thanks

Christoph Martin <martin@uni-mainz.de> wrote:

> reassign 52475 libsocks-dev
> thanks
>
> gohmandj@mrs.umn.edu writes:
>  > Package: libsocks4
>  > Version: 4.3.beta2-9
>  > Severity: normal
>  >
>  > The file /usr/lib/libsocks.a exists in both the libsocks4 and libsocks-dev
>  > packages.
>  >
>  > Currently, they can not both be installed at the same time.
>  >

> Sorry, libsocks-dev (dante) has to resolv this, since libsocks4 was
> first.

libsocks-dev has a right to include a static library, it is a library
developement package, static libraries should not be included in dynamic
libraries like libsocks4. Therefore the bug is in libsocks4, and I would
suggest that the solution would be to create a libsocks4-dev package, and
stick the static library, and any .h files in there. People can then decide to
have both libsocks libraries and one of the -dev packages. What do you think,
Am I right?

--
Edward Betts