Re: policy summary

>So you are saying that packers are omitting an EXISTING manpage, and instead
>putting a link to the undocumented.7 page?   You are right, this IS
>a bug, and yes, its the kind that is unlikely to be found for quite a while.
>However, what about the more common case where there IS no manpage?  Then,
>I believe it is useful.  Whether a manpage exists or not, that symlink
>to undocumented.7 encourages people either to write a manpage or find the
>existing one and add it if they want it enough.  I would like to vote
>NO on this issue.  undocumented.7 is yet one more aspect of our
>userfriendliness and "principle of least astonishment".

I don't know about you, but I've often been astonished, after looking at
dpkg -L output or a .list file to try to find useful documentation for the
commands or files in a package, to find out that all of the man pages are
actually undocumented.7.  undocumented.7 is worse than useless as it causes
people to waste time.

DISCLAIMER:  I'm not a Debian developer and hence get no vote.

--
James Deikun, Techie(tm), CSI Multimedia
The opinions expressed &c.