Re: uid/gid

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> it is very easy in this case: don't use static id's. use dynamic.

I'm all for it, I'll patch what's needed and send it upstream etc.

> this is easy: use useradd or adduser to create an entry in /etc/passwd.
> these programs should return an error, if the user already exists.

That's the problem I'm asking about - what will the package do, when
encounters system where 'ups' already exists? I need answer to this
question.

Actually, there are two cases when it happens: first, system with older
version of the same package, and second, system with a different 'ups'.

The name will be compiled into binaries, so the package which uses 'ups'
uname/gname, can't be installed on system where already is user 'ups'. Or
even worse, imagine package for 'universal pointing system', which decides
to use 'ups' name as well. Whichever package gets installed first, blocks
the other.

Please, I will gladly use dynamic ids, but can you see the problem I'm
talking about? Correct me please if I'm wrong.

--
jozef  :-)