Re: [PROPOSAL] Directories for local initialization scripts

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999 at 02:00, julio wrote about "Re: [PROPOSAL] Directories...":

> > 0 * * * *       generate_web_stats
> > @reboot eggdrop
> >
> > That second line (I think I got it right), is valid in a crontab file and
> > makes the job be run on reboot. (This is documented only in the cron source
> > -- did you know @yearly, @monthly, @midnight, etc are valid too?)
>
> Thanks for the tip, I didn't knew crontab could be used for that.

This really should be documented -- if that's the case.

> > Sysadmins everywhere would curse us if we put a globally writable directory
> > in /etc, which is on the root filesystem which is often pretty tightly
> > locked down.
>
> Maybe I haven't made my idea clear enough. .rc.d would be created on a per-user basis.

Then why not have it be in the home directory of each user in a
sub-directory there. Just like ~/public_html is done with Apache.

But if crontab does what it said above -- then is there any need for this?

--
Brock Rozen                                              brozen@torah.org
Director of Technical Services                             (410) 602-1350