Re: core recovery tools, apt-get, and dpkg should be static

ash has a long history as a /bin/sh shell, since all the *BSD unixes
use it as /bin/sh.

I am not concerned with full POSIX complience for /bin/sh, providing I
get everything I would normally expect a Bourne shell to have. And ash
does you that.

Obviously I think it should be static as well. *BSD has a static ash
that is about 300k in size, and nobody ever claimed that *BSD systems
used a lot of memory or was slow as a result of that.

If you link it dynamically you can get it down to about 100k. Let's
hope that 200k you saved was really worth it, and that many systems
out there would be unable to install Debian if the distribution grew
by a whopping 200k.

Justin