Re: Opinion on Debian freeze, FHS & IPv6

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Brad Allen wrote:

>     this package have been upgraded from FSSTND 1.2 (or whatever it
>     was) to FHS 2.0; please see FHS 2.0 at http://www.pathname.com/fhs/
>     for details on FHS'', in case some other package developer or
>     maintainer is still running a FSSTND system (so as to prevent

FHS 2.1 is the latest and is different from 2.0 ...

> 3.  On a minor note, I find the "ip" program written by Alexey Kuznetsov
>     <kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru> available at ftp://ftp.inr.ac.ru/ip-routing/
>     which replaces the "ifconfig" and "route" commands to be very well
>     written in terms of usability and consistency, and recommend it to

This program is packaged and works, it is called 'iproute' - the lack of
man pages or info documents makes using it as the recommended route entry
program a non-starter. Besides, ifconfig and route are standard commands
that work on pretty much every system.

>     Above other things, "ip" understands IPv6; "ifconfig" and "route"
>     have many versions which do not: administratively, this

Debian ifconfig and route understand ipv6 (if you get the ipv6 versions
;>)

>     scripts switched over to using "ip" by the *following* release, if
>     the next release is to come soon (i.e., less than two months);
>     otherwise, to *very strongly* consider switching to "ip" in all
>     initscripts, etc. by the next release completely.

Why? There is no benifit to simpler things, and all the documentation
refers to ifconfig and route - you can use the iproute stuff if you need,
but largely that is very rare.

>     Here I work under the assumptions that IPv6 is not supported at
>     this time by Debian (OOTB) and that a good plan for it does not
>     exist; assumtions that may be woefully wrong since I have not
>     actually looked; please interpolate as appropriate.

Debian has a public access machine on the 6bone, pandora.ipv6.debian.org,
and has been noodling on it. The simple truth is that there is virtually
no upstream ipv6 support, and usually if there is support it is buggy
and/or incomplete. ipv6 on linux in general is not likely to be very
feasable anytime soon.

>     What this means specifically is that the kernel (v2.2) and the
>     "ip" utility be compiled with IPv6 support compiled in (that is

Compiling a kernel with ipv6 support subtly breaks some things,
particulary some ethernet drivers that don't support multicast..

Jason