Re: Other FHS issues (was Re: /usr/share/doc: some new proposals)

Julian Gilbey <J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk> writes:

> (I think the issue was with the /usr/doc->/usr/share/doc move, not
> with FHS compliance.

Yes, I'm trying to see the big picture, though.  Why are we moving to
/usr/share/doc?   FHS.  Well, then, what about the FHS, are we close?
No.  So the only thing that makes /usr/share/doc stand out is that
it's more visible than other FHS issues.  It's not more important, nor
more difficult, except insofar as it affects every package.  In
package-by-package terms, it's probably one of the *easiest* changes
required by the FHS.  (No patching of binaries required.)

So, *why* are we in such a *panic* about /usr/share/doc now?  (This is
a rhetorical question, in case it's not obvious.)  :-)