Re: I'm sorry to open another can of worms but.. /usr/share/man transition

Le Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 02:15:38PM -0700, Joey Hess écrivait:
> So debian's new statement WRT partial upgrades will be "you can install
> packages from unstable. However, you may have to edit arbitrary files
> and change your system in arbitrary undocumented ways to make them work
> as you would expect." ?

The problem is quite different here : the problem is not about making
the unstable sendmail run on a libc6 system, but rather about beeing sure
that the sendmail man page will be found when the user type
$ man sendmail

Of course the user will be angry without his manpage, but that's the risk
of using unstable packages ... and after all sendmail will still work.

I don't think that adding dependency for things that are of 'optional use'
in the package is very elegant. We used to use recommends or suggests for
those ... but then, your solutiuon is totally unuseful (because suggests
and recommends are not much used in general).

> *always* kept packages from unstable working in stable, even during the

Packages will work but the documentation won't be found, that's all, we
already said that unstable is UNSTABLE and that only stable should be used
(and everything upgrade to stable) when everything should work.

> libc6 transition, so long as you honor dpkg's dependancies and don't --force
> anything. Why are we just giving up now, especially when I've already
> proposed a pretty simple fix to this problem?

Simple ? You've spoken of man, what about info, info2www, dwww, dhelp, and
all other documentation viewers ?

Cheers,
--
Hertzog Raphaël >> 0C4CABF1 >> http://prope.insa-lyon.fr/~rhertzog/