Re: FWD: /usr/doc vs. /usr/share/doc - the decision

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 11:11:45PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Thus, I would like to encourage everyone to wait until this issue is
> resolved or until we agree there is no good resolution, before implementing
> the current policy of making packages use /usr/share/doc.

Here's what I'll do:

  * I recognise the problems, so I will not upgrade to policy 3.0 any
    more packages

  * However, I will not revert the changes I already have made to my packages,
    unless policy is changed to say I have to.

I encourage the policy group to consider it a mistake to mandate the
move prematurely, and to undo the change wrt /usr/doc (not the whole FHS,
though), until a solution is found.

   "... memory leaks are quite acceptable in many applications ..."
    (Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)