Re: I'm sorry to open another can of worms but.. /usr/share/man transition

First of all, I must say that I did not follow the threads about
/usr/share/doc, so I may say things which were already said. please
forgive me for that.

My very personal opinion about all this, is that we need more
abstraction : packages _should_not_ hardcode installation paths. I
think that it should be an option that the sysadmin should be able to
change anytime, without having to rebuild all packages.

Instead of saying "this file must go in /usr/doc", a package should
say "this file is a documentation file". The installation program
(dpkg for instance) would then know what to do with "documentation
files".

This has the obvious advantage that in case a standard change, no
package is to be changed. Except maybe a package which defines where
to put files. And different sysadmins can very easily put files at
different places, according to their preferences.

What do you think ?

--
Laurent Martelli
martelli@iie.cnam.fr