Re: /usr/share/doc vs. /usr/doc transition, debate reopened

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 05:00:21PM +0100, robbie@scot-mur.demon.co.uk wrote:
> Here is my idea for dealing with the /usr/share/doc problem. Have a
> symlink in /usr/doc for each package which has moved to /usr/share/doc.

We wanted to do this---a few people don't like symlinks and effectively
killed off the proposal.  Unless the technical committee decides otherwise
or it goes up for general resolution vote, this will not happen.

Isn't red tape wonderful?  I'm seriously pleased at this point that
wichert won the election, I sure wouldn't want to deal with all of this
crap.  =p

> The symlinks could be created by the postinst of each package (imho not a
> good idea), or dpkg could be modified to run scripts in
> /etc/post-dpkg-install.d after installing or upgrading packages. A
> /usr/doc compatability package would contain a script to create the
> symlinks. This would also work if dpkg was not upgraded, except the script
> would have to be run manually or from a cron job.

If you're going to modify dpkg, do it right and fix the problem dpkg has
with symlinks and that it doesn't bother to follow them.  Then you'll have
the ability to just symlink /usr/doc to /usr/share/doc after a move.  It's
been noted that this move would not be atomic, but it could be done
safely.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>             Debian GNU/Linux developer
GnuPG: 2048g/3F9C2A43 - 20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3