Re: /usr/share/doc (was Re: weekly policy summary)

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Roland Rosenfeld wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Joseph Carter wrote:
>
> > > 1. mv /usr/doc/* /usr/share/doc
>
> This isn't trivial, because you cannot be sure that /usr/doc and
> /usr/share/doc are located at the same filesystem.
> And don't miss the (few) packages which already moved to
> /usr/share/doc (where some of them left back a .dhelp file in
> /usr/doc/<package>).
>
> > f) probably one of the most workable solutions suggested so far...  =D
>
> I think that the proposed "mv" is quite hard to realize, so I'm not
> sure whether this "solution" is really possible. Such a system should
> be able to handle the case where /usr/doc is moved to /usr/share/doc
> while /usr/share/doc (located on a different filesystem) runs out of
> space. When this happens while you install one normal package, this
> isn't a big problem, because you can simply reinstall the package, but
> the above idea could nuke big parts of the documentation...
>
> So the above noted idea works when run by hand, but I'm not sure,
> whether a postinst script is able to do this job without problems on
> _every_ Debian system...

Please note that I was not thinking about a package which does this in a
preinst script, I was thinking about a package just containing a script
which does this. The script would still have to be executed by the user.

Thanks.

--
 "1f2a7c4ed758e53602802431bf4f4daf" (a truly random sig)