Re: /usr/share/doc: some new proposals

On Sun, Aug 01, 1999 at 02:05:17PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> > DELAYED DO-NOTHING (the Bad One)
>
> Honestly, I don't even think this is that bad.
>
> Anyway, I think the more important part of this discussion, or at
> least the more controversial part, is whether symlinks/cronjobs/hacking
> dpkg or whatever is even an acceptable measure. Which is why all
> the formal objections irk me.

I agree. I would make a proposal that sounds like:

Move to usr/share/doc in individual packages. Do nothing else. No symlinks,
no messing with dpkg, no scripts.

But I don't need to because this is exactly what will happen if no proposal
gets amended. And anyway, it doesn't harm to see proposals and evaluate
them. Maybe someone happens to make a good one that is not too expensive.

> aj, who thinks he's about at the point where he doesn't have anything
>     more to say on this (hurray)

Yeah, it seems all facts are on the table, and no new proposals are coming
up.

>  ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
>         results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
>                                         -- Linus Torvalds

Uh, that is hardsh. I happen to disagree, but it may depend on what he means
with "too generic". Especially the "more bugs" seems to be very wrong in my
experience.

Thanks,
Marcus