Re: Debian conflicts with FHS on /usr/include/{linux,asm}

In article <cistron.ytt3dyyu53l.fsf@gilgamesh.cse.ucsc.edu>,
Ben Gertzfield  <che@debian.org> wrote:
>I would be extremely happy if Debian decided to drop the new way and
>just join the rest of the distributions with the (admittedly not the
>best way) symlinks. Yes, I've read the rationale for doing it our way,
>but it breaks *so much software*. Debian is really the odd man out
>here; there is tons of software out there that depends on those
>symlinks being there that violating FHS just to prove a point gets us
>nothing but incompatibility.

Duh. Compile with -I/usr/src/linux/include.

>Just for examples, I cite VMWare and OSS as two packages that fail
>miserably on a Debian system because it's so different.

Compile with -I/usr/src/linux/include.

>As it stands, I *always* have to remove /usr/include/{linux,asm}
>on all of my Linux boxes and replace them with symlinks by hand,
>as I do a lot of kernel development.

Compile with -I/usr/src/linux/include.

You have to do that anyway; I have one box that runs 2.2.7 and I compile
kernel modules for other boxes on that. Those other boxes run 2.2.9,
2.2.10, 2.0.37 etc. Use the right -I/usr/src/linux-2.x.x/include and
you're set.

I cite VMWare and OSS as broken.

Mike.
--
Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers.