Re: smarter way to differ architectures needed?

In article <[🔎] 19990305124709.C18201@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> you write:
>Yes, but there is no way around it until we have better support in some
>places like BTS for different packages with same name (the source package
>name mustbe different, for sure).

I think another limitation with the current BTS system is the assumption
that all bugs reports should go to the original maintainer - if the bug
is because of a port to another system and/or architecture, I doubt
the original maintainer is going to have a clue what to do with it,
especially if it was ported by someone else.

I don't know what to do about this though. Perhaps there needs to be a
way to put the porters email address in bug reports by bug, so that the
maintainer can contact the porter if required.

Note: According to the "Debian Developer's Reference", packages should
be ported with "dpkg-buildpackage -B -mporter-email"; I suspect that
some hurd porters have forgotten to include their E-Mail address,
however I don't fully understand the details, so I might be out-of-date
(ie looking at old packages) or just plain wrong. I am under the
impression that the name of the porter should appear under the
output of "dpkg -I <package>", as the Maintainer.