Re: [PROPOSED] Change package relations policy to remove references to non-free from main

On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 02:24:58PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On 30 Nov 1999, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >         As it stands, I agree to the enhanced proposal, but would
> >  object strongly to using enhances to remove mention of non-free
> >  packages from main (we should do it in dselect, dpkg, and apt; with
> >  the pacjkages not displaying non-free packages unless specifically
> >  told).
> I agree with Manoj.

FWIW, I vaguely do too: enhances doesn't scale particularly well, if, say,
we were to make a GPL-pure subdistribution of main as has been discussed
recently. If we were to do that, we'd still have Suggests: from the GPL
distribution to packages in main, which would be annoying in similar ways
to the existing main to non-free suggestions.

That said, Enhances: is a nice idea, and, until dselect and the
various apt frontends are fixed to not whine unnecessarily, having all
main<->non-free suggestions be forced to be enhances doesn't seem any
worse than the current situation, and better in a couple of ways.

Cheers,
aj

I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG encrypted mail preferred.

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds