Re: imp blows away hand-edited changes...

-----
>Package: imp
>Version: 1:2.2.0.pre5-9.2
>Severity: Critical
>
>extremely evil misuse of debconf results in hand-edited changes to imp's
>config file being blown away by the postinst script.
>
>HAND-EDITED CONFIGURATION FILES SHOULD NEVER BE BLOWN AWAY BY ANY
>CONFIGURATOR SCRIPT.  EVER.  FOR ANY REASON.
>
>at the very least, they should ask for permission first.
>
>this bug highlights a very serious flaw in debconf - not in the design,
>but in the manner in which it can be misused by a package maintainer.
>blowing away custom edits is evil and should be forbidden by policy.
-----------------

defaults.php3 is not a conffile.  And notice was made using debconf's
facility as a note to state this to the end user that the defaults file
is now rebuilt automatically each time it is installed...and that a
backup was made prior to this.

The package does follow policy in this manner.  Just because I haven't
had the chance to finish my configuration pieces of it and work out other
bugs doesn't mean I'm not following policy.

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II