From: Massimo Dal Zotto <dz@cs.unitn.it>
Subject: dh_compress
To: joeyh@master.debian.org
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 13:06:32 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

I wonder why the minimum size which triggers the automatic compression in
dh_compress is 4k instead of 1k. If the goal of dh_compress is to save
some space on the harddisk we should try to compress any file greater
than 1k which is the default block size of linux filesystems. For example
a text file of 4095 bytes, which is currently ignored by dh_compress, uses
4 disk blocks while it could very likely gzipped to use only one block.
The change is trivial:

41c41
< 			find usr/doc usr/share/doc -type f \\( -size +4k -or -name "changelog*" \\) \\
---

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto               email: dz@cs.unitn.it               |
|  Via Marconi, 141                phone: ++39-0461534251              |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)      www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                             pgp: finger dz@tango.cs.unitn.it  |

----- End forwarded message -----
--