Re: Suggestion to and how to alow different compression for .deb

On 27-Oct-99 Joey Hess wrote:

> You're going overboard. Debian should not use compression methords like rar
> that are non-free. Nor should it use archive formats, like rar, that do not
> include unix permissions and ownership information.

Right! Rar is a good compressor, but it is shareware. :|

> When a good unix fractal compression format comes along, we can talk.

But fractal compression is lossy, isnt'it?

---
   Christian Surchi, csurchi@mclink.it, www.firenze.linux.it/~csurchi
              Debian GNU/Linux User  ->  www.debian.org
  PGP fingerprint = 05 CE 0B BE BF FC B6 14  53 CA C7 8E AE 3A F2 6A
  GPG fingerprint = D1E2 9A9D 1712 0E94 8671  834E 0CFF 30E1 2625 7B68
Ask not for whom the <CONTROL-G> tolls: it tolls for you.