Re: Build dependencies: some thoughts

Julian Gilbey <J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk> writes:

> OK, I've just tried to calculate the build-time dependencies for
> debian-policy, and here are some thoughts.
>
> It's not easy.  In fact it's *really* not easy.
>
> I first tried running strace on the build process, but due to the
> presence of a vfork, I missed most of the interesting stuff.
> So strace is not a particularly useful way of figuring out
> dependencies.

Falk Hueffner and me made a script to record any file used during
build and later list the respective packages.

Now the bad thing, it needs libtricks and that doesnt work anymore
last I heard from it. Get it to work again and you have automatic
build dependencies.

The script finds each and any file that is used, even stuff like
/bin/ls. On a seperate pass the packages that can be considered to be
present on any build enviroment can be filtered out and a source
depends line inserted into the source.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin